Mark Howard issued suspended race ban amongst Rockingham penalties
The 2016 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship produced another enthralling trio of races at Rockingham this weekend and whilst records were broken, penalties have also been dished out.
Whilst Team BKR’s Aron Smith became the 12th different winner of the season, the Irishman’s team mate Mark Howard picked up his third penalty strike of the year before then being handed a one race ban which has been suspended.
Double champion Colin Turkington will also join Howard at the rear of the field at Silverstone after he too picked up a brace of penalties culminating in three strikes.
The full list of penalties are listed below:
- Colin Turkington – Given a six-second time penalty for gaining an unfair advantage.
- Matt Simpson – Verbal warning for an incident with James Cole.
- Dave Newsham – Official reprimand and two penalty points on his licence for an incident with Aiden Moffat.
- Jeff Smith – Verbal warning for an incident with Warren Scott. The Eurotech Racing driver racked up his third strike of the season and served a grid penalty in round 24 at the Northamptonshire circuit.
- Aron Smith – Verbal warning for gaining an unfair advantage on the opening lap of the race.
- Ashley Sutton – Official reprimand and two penalty points on his licence for making contact with Dave Newsham.
- Hunter Abbott – Official reprimand and two penalty points on his licence for contact with Josh Cook.
- Mark Howard – Official reprimand and two penalty points on his licence for an incident with Jack Goff. Due to this being his third strike the Team BKR driver will start from the back of the grid at Silverstone.
- Colin Turkington – Official reprimand and two penalty points on his licence for overtaking Jake Hill under the yellow flags. With this being the double champions third penalty of 2016 the Team BMR driver will start from the back of the grid in round 25.
Penalties were also additionally issued carrying over from Knockhill with Rob austin picking up a third strike for gaining an unfair advantage for an incident with Adam Morgan and Mark Howard for an on-track collision.
Article originally written on Sunday, 28 August 2016. Read more articles from the BTCC Crazy Archive.