Tom Sharp wins dramatic final race of the weekend

Tom Sharp leaves Brands Hatch making it three wins out of three,  taking maximum points after another dominant victory in a dramatic final race of the weekend.

Fergus Walkinshaw started from pole position ahead of Jamie Orton and Colin White, race two winner Tom Sharp started from fourth position.

As the lights went out Walkinshaw made a fantastic getaway and held the lead going into paddock hill bend, despite pressure from Colin White the top four stayed the same going into druids for the first time. Going into Surtees, Sharp got past Orton to take second place after getting past White earlier in the lap.

The safety car was brought out on lap 3 after contact between Sharp and Walkinshaw resulted in a massive shunt into the pit wall for Walkinshaw, many drivers were lucky to miss the debris and a spinning Walkinshaw on the circuit. Reece Somerfield had a violent shunt into the tyre wall after trying avoiding the carnage on track, also caught up in the incident were Colin White and Louise Richardson, luckily enough they were able to continue the race. Walkinshaw and Somerfield managed to get out of their cars and walk away unharmed.

Racing resumed on lap eight and Sharp instantly pulled out another impressive lead, whilst Andrew Richardson clawed his way through the pack from fifteenth up into fourth place by lap 9, with Wakefield hot on his tails having moved up from seventeenth up into eighth place.

After numerous times of putting four wheels of the track, Wakefield received a five second time penalty and also a drive through penalty on lap 17. Tom Ingram and Marcus Hogarth were busy making their way though the G50’s before becoming embroiled in an inter-team battle on lap twenty six as the pair fought over fifth and sixth place.

As the chequered flag dropped, it was a third win for Tom Sharp, Jamie Orton and Andrew Richardson finished in second and third place respectively with White, Hogarth and Rob Gaffney rounding off the top six.

Tom Ingram’s lost the back end on the final corner whilst fighting team mate for fifth place, forcing Josh Wakefield behind him to take avoiding action which saw his race end in a tyre wall for the second time that day, whilst Ingram brought his G55 home in 10th place.

G50 runner and race 2 winner Max Coates did not start race three due to a gearbox failure leaving the pits.

The next rounds of the Ginetta GT Supercup will be at Donington Race Circuit  in Derby on the 14th and 15th April.

For full race classification click here.

For full championship standings click here.

Photo Credit: Jakob Ebrey (

Nico Aaron Ugbaja

Nico will be our Formula Ford correspondent for the 2013 season. Nico is currently studying Journalism at Solent University in Southampton, and you can contact him on or on twitter @NicoAaronUgbaja. You can also visit his website at Nico also runs his own karting team which you can check out at and on twitter @UgbajaGrandPrix