BTCC trio on the road to recovery

Luke Davenport, Aron Taylor-Smith and Jeff Smith are all continuing their recoveries from the injuries they suffered in the multi-car qualifying crash at Croft on June 10.

All three were hospitalised in the incident that saw nearly a third of the grid caught up in, with substantial damage being caused.

Motorbase Performance driver Davenport sustained multiple injuries in the accident – including a broken right leg, broken arm, broken pelvis and damage to his lungs. He was placed in an induced coma at James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough  for little under a week before being brought out of it last week.

Since then the 24-year-old has began working with his physiotherapist as he begins his journey back to full fitness.

“I have only started eating proper food in the last few days now they have taken all the intake tubes out,” Davenport said on the most recent episode of Tin Top Tuesday. “I have got straight back into the habit, and mentally that has given me a boost.

“I still get tired quickly but I am just starting physio now. The physio had me sat off the end of the bed today, and that has all gone really well.

“I can bend both knees and I feel good. I am just desperate to start cracking on with physio really.

“The support has been unbelievable. I could be my phone all day to go through all the messages. It has been huge. I keep having soppy moments but I think that must just be the drugs I am on!

“They are looking after me well in hospital has been amazing. The resources we have in touring cars is so strong when an accident like this happens.”

Eurotech Racing’s Smith had been re-admitted to hospital five days after being released to get his pain relief back under control. The Brands Hatch pole-sitter has again been discharged and is continuing his recovery at home before undergoing a shoulder assessment at a later date.

“We are pleased to report that Jeff has been discharged from hospital this afternoon and is now back at home again,” a statement by the team read. “His medication has been reviewed and is back under control.

“His left shoulder is still too unstable to properly assess the best route forward so he will go back to see the shoulder consultant in 10 days to decide the next step. R&R until then!”

MG Triple Eight Racing’s Taylor-Smith also made an appearance on Tin Top Tuesday too to provide an update on his condition . The four-time race winner had suffered a concussion and a fractured leg in the accident, ultimately being released from hospital on the same day as the accident.

“I’m boring to be around at the moment and it’s a bit mundane sitting around doing nothing,” he said. “But in another ten days I think I’ll be moving around a bit more. I’ve taken a few steps without crutches although I resemble Bambi at the moment, but it’ll be okay.

“I have little recollection of Saturday and what happened as I was knocked out, and when I came around, I had no idea what day it was or where I was. Luke and Jeff were more conscious which was worse for them, but the important thing now is that they are on the mend.

“My recovery is going well and I can’t thank everyone enough for their support.”

The Irishman is confident of getting back behind-the-wheel at Snetterton at the end of July with work back at base continuing in preparing a car for him.

To listen to the full episode of Tin Top Tuesday, click here.

PHOTO CREDIT: Jakob Ebrey Photography